Copyright © 2016 Thomex Inc. All rights reserved.

January 9, 2012

Treasure Mercy -by Joyce Meyers
















As a young woman, born again, filled with the Spirit and in ministry, I had no idea that I had a problem with mercy. I had probably preached messages on mercy, but God began impressing upon me that I needed to experience the truth of Matthew 9:13. In my heart, I could hear Him say over and over again: "Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy."

Mercy is kindness.  It took a long time for me to understand what I am sharing with you, but slowly I discovered two things about myself: I was not a merciful person, and I was not merciful to others because I was raised in an atmosphere in which I had not experienced much mercy in my own life.

I became very legalistic and rigid.  I had a way I wanted things done and that was the way I wanted them done. I was not too willing to give an inch in either direction. If I did not get it the way I wanted it, although the other person did their best and really could not give me what I wanted, I became upset with them.  I was not merciful. I refused to give people any room for error.

Although I reached a place where I wanted to be merciful with all my heart, I was not able to be.  I got angry because I saw other people show mercy, and I wanted to do the same.  Then God showed me that there are two sides to mercy.  We have to learn how to receive God's mercy before we can give God's mercy.

I had a hard time being merciful because I would not receive mercy.  I was very legalistic with myself, and therefore, very legalistic with everyone else.  The Bible says you are to love your neighbor as you love yourself (see Matthew 22:39).  It is important to look at how you treat yourself because sometimes you try to give something to someone that you yourself do not have.

If you do not receive God's love and then love yourself in a balanced way, how can that love flow through you to anybody else?  If you do not receive God's mercy when you make mistakes, you do not have a reservoir of mercy from which to draw for others.

I have learned to be a merciful person, and I enjoy the mercy of God every day in my own life.  When I sin, I receive mercy immediately.  I am sorry for the mistakes I make, but I refuse to live under condemnation (see Romans 8:1). We should admit our sins, repent, ask God to forgive us, receive His mercy, and press forward.  Mercy is for people who do not deserve it.  Remember that for yourself and for others.
~ Joyce Meyers (The Everyday Life Bible pg 1501)

No comments:

Post a Comment